Discover Quest: World War I Commemoration
Discover Quest: World War I Commemoration
Experience interactive programs highlighting the Ghost Fleet of Mallows Bay and local World War I history!
Friday, April 21, 2017 • 6 - 8 p.m.
College of Southern Maryland
BI Building - 113 & 114
8730 Mitchell Rd, La Plata, MD
Enjoy an art exhibit on Mallows Bay by Charles County Public School students, informative panels on World War I history in Charles County, and an engaging presentation by underwater archaeologist Don Shomette.
Saturday, April 22, 2017 • Activities begin at 9 a.m., park closes at dusk.
Mallows Bay Park
1440 Wilson Landing Rd, Nanjemoy, MD
• Guided Kayak Tours by Atlantic Kayak
$40 per person • 1 hour, 30 min tour • 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., and 3 p.m. • Register online (Mallows Bay Centennial Tour)
The decaying steamships in Mallows Bay provide a porthole view of America’s role in World War I. Kayak among the wrecks and feel the timbers of ships that came all the way from the Pacific Northwest, through the Panama Canal, to end up in a shallow bay of the Potomac River. Surrounding sandy bluffs with towering trees provide magnificent roosts for bald eagles and osprey and a striking counterpart to the historic wreckage. Guided tours include all equipment and a brief kayak lesson by a certified instructor, naturalist and certified interpretive guide. We will use very stable, easy to use, two-person kayaks.
For more information, visit www.atlantickayak.com or call 301-292-6455
• Free Interactive Programs
- Walk and learn about the birds of Mallows Bay with the Southern Maryland Audubon Society. Guided walks scheduled for 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. For more information contact Lynne Wheeler at email@example.com or 301-751-8097.
- Dig into some fossils and find out more about what can be found locally from The Natural History Society of Maryland.
- Maryland Historical Trust will demonstrate basic and useful knots that can be helpful both on and off the water, as well as have World War I posters available for little one's to color.
- Want to try your hand at being an archaeologist? Measure and record a mock shipwreck with the Institute of Maritime History.
- Join the Charles County Archaeological Society of Maryland in identifying Native American artifacts and experiencing imformative displays on terrestrial archaeology and Maryland's Archaeology Month: "At the Water's Edge - Our Past on the Brink."
- Learn how different watersheds process rainwater with active models and about the different salinities of the Potomac River and its tributaries from the Mattawoman Watershed Society.
- And more!
Sunday, April 23, 2017
Various locations in Charles County will be offering an array of exciting World War I exhibits and programs!
• Rich Hill Historic Site
Rich Hill Farm Rd, Bel Alton, MD • 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. • Free • richhillfriends.org
Open house featuring: re-enactors, Civil War encampments, archaeological digs, historical organization displays, and more.
• Mattawoman Creek Art Center
Smallwood State Park, 2750 Sweden Point Rd, Marbury, MD • 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. • Free • 301-743-5159 • mattawomanart.org
Mixed media World War I themed art display. Mattwoman Creek Art Center will be open all April 21-23 from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
• Maryland Veterans Museum at Patriot Park
11000 Crain Hwy, Newburg, MD • 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. • Free • 301-932-1900 • mdvets.webs.com
Exciting World War I display honoring those who fought on the battlefields and those who served in support of them.
• Dr. Samuel A. Mudd House
3725 Doctor Samuel Mudd Rd, Waldorf, MD • Noon - 4 p.m. • $7 Ages 13+, $2 Ages 6-12, Children 5 and under are free • 301-645-6870 • drmudd.org
Visit the museum or take one of the engaging guided tours. Tours depart every 30 minutes on the hour and the half hour, the last tour departs at 3:30 p.m.
• McConchie School House
8440 Fairgrounds Rd, La Plata, MD • 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. • Free • 301-932-1234 • charlescountyfair.com
Tour the historic one-room school house located on the Charles County Fairgrounds.
Create your custom vacation today visit http://www.charlescountymd.gov/maps/tourism/tourplan/303 or call 1-800-766-3386