- Charles County Code Chapter 170 (Ethics Code)
- Bill No. 2011-08
- Instructions for Financial Disclosure Statements Form 1 and 2
- Instruction for Financial Disclosure Statement Form 3
- Ethics Commission Complaint Form
- Rules of Procedures
- Lobbying Registration Information and Forms
Ethics Commission Mission Statement:
"It is the mission of the Charles County Ethics Commission to ensure Charles County officials and employees are knowledgeable about and comply with the Code of Ethics. This is accomplished by:
- Providing Ethics Code education to county officials and employees;
- Providing advisory opinions regarding the applicability of the code; and
- Investigation of alleged violations of the Ethics Code".
Ethics Commission Background:
The Charles County Ethics Commission is a Charles County agency which was established under the provisions of the County Ethics Law, Code of Charles County, Chapter 170. The County Ethics Law was passed by the County Commissioners in 1982 under a requirement of the State legislature of all Maryland counties, cities, towns and boards of education. If any local jurisdiction failed to pass a local law,it automatically would be covered by the State Ethics Law. The original State Ethics Law was passed in 1979.
The Commission is made up of five members. Of these members, one member shall be appointed by the Charles County Bar Association, who shall be a member of the Association. The County Commissioners of Charles County shall appoint the remaining four members. The Commission elects its own Chairman. This Board is staffed by an attorney from the County Attorney's Office, who also serves as the legal adviser, and a legal assistant, who acts as Clerk.
Commission Duties and Responsibilities:
The basic duties and responsibilities of the Charles County Ethics Commission are:
- To respond to inquiries, requests for exemptions and complaints of violations;
- To make recommendations to the County Commissioners for amendments to the Ethics Ordinance;
- To devise, receive and review annual financial statements and other forms generated by the Ordinance;
To conduct public information programs as to the purpose and application of the Ethics Code for the Charles County officials and employees and for the general public. Thank You