Charles County Area Council on Aging
March 8, 2012 9:30 AM
Richard R. Clark Senior Center
La Plata, MD 20646
Persons Present: (M - voting member; N - non-voting member; C - Community Representative): Maurice DiPoli (M, Chair), Dina Barclay (N, Chief of Aging and Senior Programs), Bruce Kirk (M, Secretary), Beverly Coger (M), Barbara Crawford (M), Linda Gottfried (M), Vickie Grow (M), Elaine Lancaster (M), Sonja Mahoney (M), Marise Robertson (M), Dr. Guillermo Sanchez (M), Maureen Swymer (M), Bill Holman (C, CCNRC rep),and Ms. Kim Simonson, representing Commissioner Kelly (M, Commissioner representative).
Persons Absent: (E = excused; U = unexcused), George Foster (M, E, Vice-Chair), Richard Black (M, U), George Estes (M, U), Linda Barnes, RN (C, E, CCHD Rep)
Call to Order: 9:33 AM, Maurice DiPoli.
Presence of Quorum: Yes (11 of 15 voting ACA members).
Approval of Minutes: The minutes of the February 9, 2012 meeting were approved as presented.
Communications: Dina Barclay reported that thank you notes/confirmation letters were mailed to Dr. Ferraro and Dr. Razaq for their participation at the hip fracture forum on April 26th.
County Commissioner Report: Kim Simonson attended as Commissioner Kelly's representative; no report at this time.
Aging Division Director's report:
- Dina asked ACA members their preference regarding transportation to the May 4th state & regional Commission on Aging meetings during the Maryland Department of Aging's "Innovations in Aging Conference" at the Gaylord National Hotel at National Harbor. The state Commission on Aging meeting will be held on the morning of May 4th, followed by a luncheon for all local Commissions on Aging. After lunch, Calvert County will host this year's annual Tri-County Commission on Aging meeting; please plan to attend. Members decided to arrange carpools with each other, rather than a shuttle bus, since it will be a fairly small group attending these meetings. Also-- MDoA is still looking for exhibitors/sponsors for the event. Contact Judy Holland at 1-800-AGE-DIAL to inquire about exhibiting your business, etc. at the expo portion on Sat May 5th.
- Thank you to all who advocated on behalf of the Ombudsman program funding. The Senate Finance Committee advised MDoA to preserve the $120K in Ombudsman, but instead asked MDoA to find the $120K within its Dept operating budget.
- Ilene Rosenthal, Deputy Secretary of MDoA, is working with graduate students at University of MD to prepare the research & planning tools for the ‘Communities for a Lifetime’ report that was referenced by Sen Middleton during the ACA Legislative Committee meeting in Feb. Elaine Lancaster will elaborate on that meeting & subcommittee’s next steps during her update.
- MDoA sponsored a SoMD Town Hall in Charlotte Hall on March 2nd to address scams against the elderly. There were over 125 in attendance and speakers from the Federal Trade Commission & US Secret Service were excellent. Senator Cardin was unable to attend, but sent a representative.
- The Clark Center roof repairs are moving forward & construction will begin this month. Completion is expected within 30-60 days. A thank-you to Center Staff for maintaining programs & services to seniors throughout the limited use & upcoming construction period.
Health Committee update: (Dr. Sanchez) The Hip Fracture Forum is scheduled for Thursday, April 26th at the Greater Waldorf Jaycees center from 8:00 to 10:30 AM. Flyers will be distributed to senior centers and living facilities, libraries, and churches. Notices will be included on the County's Facebook page and sent to the Maryland Independent and local newsletters for publication. The subcommittee will convene after ACA adjourns today. All forum attendees must pre-register for the free event by calling 301-638-4420.
Legislative Committee update: (Elaine Lancaster) The subcommittee held its first meeting in Feb and was pleased to have Sen Middleton, Commissioner Kelly, and Commissioner Collins present, as well as Mr Jeff Radke, Pinefield Citizens' Association President and a resident of Pinefield to participate in the meeting. Focus was on how to implement the 2011 Senate Bill 822, Communities for a Lifetime, as a model for revitalizing Pinefield to facilitate aging in place for older residents & to address community needs for persons of all ages. Sen Middleton will invite Secretary Lawlah to the next subcommittee meeting for an update on MDoA’s report to the legislature for implementation strategies of SB822 in Maryland. Elaine followed up with Sen Middleton’s office on this, and it was decided that the meeting with Sec Lawlah would be scheduled in May 2012, following the conclusion of the MD Legislative session (meeting date tbd).
- Updated ACA brochures were ordered by Dina & will be available by April 10th. A brochure and an “ACA mint” will be placed at every seat for the April 26th Forum event to raise awareness of ACA.
Tuesday, April 24th- Annual Volunteer Recognition Luncheon, Waldorf Jaycees Center. Invitations will be sent to all ACA members. Please RSVP to Janice Hamby at the Clark Center, 301-934-5423.
Thursday, April 26th- ACA’s Hip Fracture Forum, 8:00 to 10:30AM, Waldorf Jaycees Center. Free, but register with Ann Schultz at 301-638-4420.
Friday, April 27th- 20th Annual Southern Maryland Caregivers Conference, 8:00AM to 3:00PM. Register for $20 before April 2nd. Brochures distributed at the meeting for those wishing to attend.
Friday, May 4th- ACA members requested to attend the Statewide & Regional Commission on Aging meetings & luncheon at the Innovations in Aging Expo & Conference, Gaylord Hotel, National Harbor. Attendance at these specific events is free for all ACA members & you do not need to register for the Conference if you are only attending the ACA aspects, but RSVP is needed.
Member & Community Representative Announcements:
- Charles Co. Nursing and Rehab. Center. Bill Holman. Construction of their new building is coming along well, and they anticipate a grand opening celebration on May 1st.
- Charles Co. Health Department. No announcements.
- United Seniors of Maryland. Bruce Kirk. There is a by-law review and update in process, largely to address voting privileges of individual members who attend membership meetings. Go to www.unitedseniors.net for legislative updates (bill texts, committee hearings, fiscal notes, etc.) and more information about
- Linda Gottfried. Inspiring Caregiver Awards event on Friday, April 20th at the Waldorf Jaycees Center. Please nominate caregivers that you may know, and try to attend this wonderful event. Tickets for the general public are $35 per person; complimentary tickets for awardees.
Next meeting: Thursday, April 12th. Clark Senior Center, 9:30 AM.
Adjourn: The meeting adjourned at 10:26 AM
Bruce Kirk, Secretary