Effective June 1, 2015 the Housing Authority's Housing
Choice Voucher Program will be implementing
a new policy for walk-in days.
Walk-ins are welcome Tuesdays and Thursdays
only during normal business hours.
Customers will be seen by appointment
only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Paperwork may still be dropped off with the
receptionist Monday-Friday during normal business hours.
The Charles County Housing Authority administers a variety of housing programs directed at assisting low and moderate income families. The Housing Authority Division offers a variety of services and programs for low to moderate income families and those seeking housing assistance. Programs include:
Rental Subsidy Programs
The Housing Authority administers two rental assistance programs, which provide subsidies to eligible families.
- Housing Choice Voucher Program- provides ongoing assistance to families to ensure that rental housing is affordable based on the family income and is decent, safe, and sanitary in accordance with housing quality standards.
- Rental Allowance Program- provides fixed monthly rental subsidies on a short-term basis for persons residing at a local homeless shelter.
- Homeless Services and Resource Guide- A listing of contacts for charitable aid, housing benefits, medical assistance, and more.
Rural Housing Initiative and Indoor Plumbing Assistance
The Charles County Economic Development Initiative Plumbing Program, administered by the Housing Authority, is designed to assist low income homeowners in Charles County in obtaining indoor plumbing and/or potable water for their principal residence.
- For homeowners seeking assistance in obtaining indoor plumbing.
- For Local Non-Profits and Businesses seeking partnership opportunities with the Housing Authority to aid in assisting those in need of indoor plumbing.
Community Development Programs
Encourage the promotion of affordable housing development and neighborhood revitalization through programs such as:
- Special Loan Programs- provide low-interest or deferred loans to improve the basic livability of single-family homes for low and moderate-income families.
- Home Ownership Initiatives- offer below-market rate loans to enable first-time home purchases; settlement expense loans are offered in conjunction with various home ownership initiatives.
-Charles County CDBG HomeBuyer Loan Program
- Community Development Block Grants-assist non-profit and community-based organizations in obtaining funding for projects directed at neighborhood and housing revitalization, economic development, and improved community facilities.
- Community Legacy Program -a program of the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD), designed to assist urban neighborhoods, suburban communities and small towns that are experiencing decline and disinvestment, but have the potential, with modest public and private investment, to be vibrant places to live and work. These Community Legacy Areas are often referred to as "at-risk" or "transitional" communities. Indications of decline include dropping property values, population loss, decreasing income and education levels, and increasing housing and commercial vacancies.
- First Time Home Buyers Settlement Expense Loan Program (SELP) -The Charles County Settlement Expense Loan Program (SELP) provides direct financial assistance of up to $6,000 for settlement expenses to qualified low-income and moderate-income first time home buyers in Charles County. The loan is secured by a second mortgage, repayment of which is deferred until such time as the property is resold, transferred, refinanced, or the buyer discontinues occupancy of it as a principal residence.
- Homeownership for Individuals with Disabilities Program - this program is offered through the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). At least one borrower must be disabled and must provide a "Certificate of Disability" completed by a health, mental health, or disability professional to qualify. All borrowers must meet program eligibility guidelines and the loan must conform to all underwriting criteria.
- Community Development Housing Plan
- Rental Housing Survey
- County "SELP" Guidelines & Procedures
Housing Rehabilitation Special Loan Program
This program provides low-interest and no-interest bridge loans to eligible homeowners to finance home improvements. Units must be owner-occupied and the applicant must be participating in a State Special Loan Program to be eligible for assistance.
Housing Choice Voucher Home Ownership Program
A component of the Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance program, the Housing Choice Voucher Homeownership Program is available to eligible participants who have completed at least one year of successful participation in the Housing Choice Voucher Program. A monthly assistance subsidy is paid towards the mortgage on the participant's home. Eligibility requirements must be met and households must obtain independent financing through a participating lender.
Housing Authority Board
This seven member advisory board reviews affordable and low-income housing issues as directed by the Charles County Board of Commissioners.