www.charlescountymd.gov

Charles County, Maryland

Benedict Waterfront Village

Benedict Waterfront Village

Historic Photo of Benedict: Captain's Inn

Welcome

First settled as a colonial port town in 1706, the waterfront village of Benedict is located in far-eastern Charles County along a narrow peninsula bordering the Patuxent River and Indian Creek. Benedict has a storied past as the site of the British land invasion during the War of 1812, the site of Camp Stanton, a Union training camp for African Americans during the Civil War, and a rich maritime history spanning three centuries.

Today, the village of Benedict consists of 150 acres and includes residential areas as well as marinas and restaurants, a post office, firehouse and Catholic church. Because of its strong historic themes, regional location, and abundant waterfront, in 2012 Charles County completed the Benedict Waterfront Village Revitalization Plan, a community-based vision for the future of Benedict that includes improved water access and amenities, infill and redevelopment opportunities, and planned sewer service improvements.

 

Maps and Ilustrations Adopted Plan

January 24, 2012
Final

Benedict Cultural Resource and Context Study

IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE:  All publications located within the Planning and Growth Management section of the web site are believed to be accurate as of their posting date. However, they may not be accurate on the day you view them. To verify whether these documents are the most current official document, please contact the division associated with the document in question.