The mission of the Planning Division is to prepare and maintain Comprehensive Plans, sub area plans such as redevelopment plans, and special purpose studies. We also implement these plans through the administration of local land development regulations such as the zoning and subdivision codes. In addition, we enforce state and local laws protecting our natural resources and environmentally sensitive lands. If you own land and want to know what regulations apply to it or, if you have a project and want to know where to begin or, if you simply wish to participate in any of our ongoing planning activities, you have come to the right place. Simply click on the subject of interest to you.
List of Active Projects (Posted 7/14/2017)
Planning Commission Annual Reports (All Years)
Customer Assistance Guide (posted 7/21/2016)
Accounting for Ecosystem Services in Charles County, MD (posted 8/14/2017)
- Blossom Point JLUS
- Bryans Road
- Dahlgren JLUS
- Indian Head Joint Land Use Study (JLUS) (Posted 4/28/2017)
- Maryland Airport Land Use Study
- NAS PAX Joint Land Use Study (JLUS)
- Port Tobacco Village
Other Plans and Programs
Grants, Fee Credits, and Workshops for County Residents & Businesses
- Build a Rainbarrel Workshop
- Chesapeake Bay Trust Forestry Grant for Charles County Residents
- Chesapeake Bay Trust Watershed Restoration Grant for Local Non-Profits
- Septic System Pump-Out & Septic Riser Installation Reimbursement Program
- Septic System Upgrade Assistance
- Stormdrain Stenciling/Marking Program
- Stormwater Remediation Fee
Natural Resource Protection and Development Review
- Chesapeake Bay Critical Area
- Forest Conservation
- Habitat Protection Areas (HPAs)
- Resource Protection Zone
Streams & Watersheds
- What is the Stormwater Remediation Fee?
- What is the Fee Used For?
- How Can I Receive a Credit Toward the Fee?
- I have a Hardship, What Can I Do?
Watershed Assessment and Restoration
- Definition of Illicit Discharge
- Charles County's IDDE Program
- How to Report an Illicit Discharge
- Comprehensive Plan
- Zoning and Subdivision Regulations
- Stormwater Management Ordinance & Storm Drain Ordinance
IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE: All publications located within the Planning and Growth Management section of the web site are believed to be accurate as of their posting date. However, they may not be accurate on the day you view them. To verify whether these documents are the most current official document, please contact the division associated with the document in question.