At the time of the Revolutionary War in November 1776, the first constitution for Maryland was adopted. The original constitution created a single Attorney General responsible for prosecuting all crime in the state. In December 1816, the General Assembly voted to abolish the Attorney General position and this act was confirmed on January 28, 1817. In 1818, the General Assembly reinstated the Attorney General position, and also created the Office of the District Attorney. There was one commissioned District Attorney for each of the several judicial districts responsible for prosecuting all crime in his jurisdiction. The First Judicial District was comprised of Prince George's, St. Mary's, and Charles Counties. Raphael Neale served as the District Attorney for the First Judicial District from February 1818 until October 1818. Neale resigned and went on to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1819 to 1825. In 1821, the position of District Attorney was abolished.
In 1851, the voters of Maryland adopted a second constitution. The 1851 constitution created the position of the State's Attorney. Section 7 of Article V specified that each county and Baltimore City would have a State's Attorney who would be elected by the people to a term of four years. The State's Attorney was responsible for the prosecution of crime within the county.
The following people have held the office of State's Attorney for Charles County: