Charles County Holiday Trail - Colonial Christmas at Smallwood Retreat House | www.charlescountymd.gov

www.charlescountymd.gov

Charles County, Maryland

Charles County Holiday Trail - Colonial Christmas at Smallwood Retreat House

Charles County Holiday Trail - Colonial Christmas at Smallwood Retreat House

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Dates:  Saturday, December 6, 2014, and Sunday, December 7, 2014 (1:00 pm - 6:00 pm)

Time:  1:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Location:  Smallwood Retreat House, Smallwood State Park, 2750 Sweden Point Road, Marbury, MD

Cost:  Free (Donations Appreciated)

Get into the spirit of the season and enjoy an afternoon at Smallwood Retreat House.  Travel back through centuries to experience the holiday season during colonial times.  Smallwood Retreat House was the home of General William Smallwood.  Tour the house and learn more about General Smallwood’s life and times.  In addition to the Christmas decorations made with greens and fruits, you can also enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of the colonial kitchen where costumed volunteers prepare recipes authentic to the period.  Once outside the house, you are invited to indulge in hot cider and cookies around the fire while Revolutionary War interpreters outfitted in period clothing provide a “taste” of life during the War for Independence.

Originally known as Mattawoman Plantation, Smallwood erected the home in 1760 and lived there until his death in 1792.  A lifelong bachelor, Smallwood was a gentleman farmer, who made a sizeable fortune farming tobacco in Southern Maryland.  At one time he owned over 5,000 acres.  During the Revolutionary War, General Smallwood, a two-star general, was the highest ranking military man from the State.  No stranger to positions of leadership, he served three one-year terms as the Governor of Maryland beginning in 1785.

Smallwood had no children, and like Thomas Jefferson and several other patriots, he died in debt. Out of necessity, his home sold at public auction to satisfy his obligations.  After the sale, various renters and tenants occupied the property until it fell into ruin.  Luckily, in 1934, concerned citizens formed the Smallwood Foundation in an effort to save the house. The restoration began in 1954 and reached completion in 1958.   Today, the period furnishings in the building correspond to those listed in the inventory for the property housed at the Maryland Archives.

For additional information, call (301) 743-7613, or visit www.charlescountyholidaytrail.com.

Check out our Facebook page at:  www.Facebook.com/charlescountyholidaytrail