What We're Doing
- Developing a broadband strategic plan.
- Collecting data to develop accurate maps where service is and isn't throughout the County.
- CTC Technology & Energy continuing to meet with stakeholders to evaluate current infrastructure, future construction, and various types of assets and partnerships that may be utilized as part of the strategic plan.
- Continuing to research and monitor federal and state grant opportunities.
- Providing updates to the Board of County Commissioners.
On October 1, 2019, the Rural Broadband Task Force provided an update to the Board of County Commissioners on the progress of the development of the Broadband Strategic Plan for Charles County. The presentation is linked at the bottom of this page.
CTC Technology & Energy is meeting with numerous stakeholders within Charles County Government and from other organizations. These meetings allow the consultant and the subject matter experts to dive deeper into our current infrastructure, future construction projects, and various types of assets and partnerships that may be utilized as part of the broadband strategic plan. These meetings are scheduled through mid-October.
Two new members were added to the Rural Broadband Task Force: Thomas Dennison from SMECO and Steve Andritz from the Charles County Board of Education. Both organizations will be important partners throughout the proces of broadband deployment.
The Rural Broadband Task Force was featured on the Inside Your County Government Podcast. You can listen on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play Music, or at buzzsprout.com.
Signed a contract with CTC Technology & Energy, who will help us develop the Charles County Broadband Strategic Plan. CTC has worked with several other counties in Maryland to develop plans to bring broadband to rural areas. Charles County Government was awarded a grant by the Governor's Office of Rural Broadband, which will provide for half the cost of developing our broadband strategic plan.