May 21, 2014 Minutes
John San Luis
4:09 PM Meeting brought to order by Willie Zapata
License Counts as of this month are:
Masters license: 1661
- General- 1301: 664 Active, 3 Deceased, 585 Expired and 49 Inactive
- Restricted Master- 165: 96 Active, 0 Deceased, 64 Expired and 5 Inactive
- Expired without license type listed: 196
Journeyman license: 1855
- 719 Active, 2 Deceased and 1134 Expired
- 140 with no active licenses
- Approval of April 2014 meeting minutes. All in favor. None opposed.
- Determination of how to enforce “Split Bus Panels” was discussed per request from Code Enforcement Officer, Don Litten. It was the Boards determination to meet the minimum code requirements (408.36 /exception 3). Willie Zapata is to provide letter for Sue to give to Don Litten with result of discussion.
- Board Members reminded to provide Financial Disclosure form to CAO.
- Homeowner’s exam is a work in progress. Willie Zapata to provide Sue when completed.
- Discussion of concerns pertaining to Section 16 (0) - A licensed Master may not use his license of Master Electrician merely as a front to permit a person not licensed as Master Electrician in Charles County to engage in the business of Master Electrician in Charles County or to perform any of the kinds of work of which a Master Electrician may perform. Sue to provide certified letter to Master of alleged violations to attend June 18, 2014 meeting.
- Discussion of concerns pertain to Section 16 (Q) - A Journeyman shall not represent as a Master Electrician and shall not do contracting work and Section 12 (K) - A Journeyman cannot represent himself as a contractor. Sue to provide certified letter to Journeymen to attend hearing(s) - (1) June 10, 2014 and (2) June 18, 2014.
- Discussions of concerns of local hospital (Charles Regional Medical Center) and any satellite buildings businesses owned by the hospital performing any electrical work without permits and/ or inspections. There is not a Master Electrician assigned to the Charles Regional Medical Center, so, not having a Master Electrician assigned to the hospital, who is providing any/all electrical work in the Hospital or satellite offices with or/without Master license? Discussion and decision to monitor and bring back if any concerns arise.
- To date 189 renewal applications have been processed of the active 759 Master Electricians.
- All application fees will be raised four (4) percent due to a “Technology Fee” as of July 1, 2014.
- The new fees are as follows:
- Master Exam: $121.68
- Journeyman Exam: $82.16
- Homeowner Exam: $73.84
- Homeowner Retake: $29.12
- Reciprocal /Renewal/Reinstatement: $96.72
- Lost / Replacement: $29.12
- John San Luis and Willie Zapata attended MUELEC meeting representing Charles County.
- Annual Membership fees are due. $100.00
- Discussion of State versus County business licenses and fees.
- Task Force representing the “Phase out of Local Licenses” expires June 30, 2014.
- Roy Kline attended meeting to review his March 2014 Master exam.
Meeting adjourned at 5:27 PM.