Meeting minutes of 10/20/2014
Charles County Commission on Inividuals with Disabilitis
Meeting Minutes: October 20, 2014
Charles County Govenment Center, Office of the Safety Officer
CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 3:13 by Emily Ferren. The meeting would be considered an organizational meeting considering the many changes to the group recently.
- In Attendance: Amy Blandford, Emily Ferren, Jim Howard, Robin Lincoln, Tonya Kay Speer and Nicky Pires. Excused: Jeff Barnett, Sandra Dent and Joane Gulvas
- Guest: Keri Williams
- Emily Ferren, Vice President, agreed to assume the position of the CIWD as Tony Silva retired.
- Amy Blandford was nominated to assume the vacated Vice President position of the CIWD by Emily. Nicky seconded. All members were in favor. There was no opposition.
New Members: Nicky Pires from the Tri-County Council of Southern Maryland has been appointed by the Commissioners of Charles County as a member of the CIWD for the term lasting fro 2014-2018. Tonya Kay Speers from Southern Maryland Center for Independent Living has also been newly appointed by the Commissioners of Charles County as a new member of the CIWD for the term lasting from 2014-2018.
Emily Ferren accepted a reappointment until 2018.
All three members took an oath of office.
The meeting minutes from June were reviewed. Tonya Kay Speer's name was mispelled. The meeting minutes for June were appoved as corrected.
- Website: The website has expired. The cost was automatically deducted from retired president, Tony Silva's account. The cost to keep it going will be 99.99 for the next year. After a discussion of the cost of setting up a new website versus keeping this website, it was decided that members may bring $20 to the next meeting for donation for the domain cost of the website (only if they want to).
- Guest, Keri Williams, advised the group of the SMD Brain Injury Group. The group meets the second Thursday of the month at Spring Dell from 6-7:30 p.m. It is for Individuals with brain injuries and their caregivers. Please contact Keri Williams at email@example.com for more information.
- The deadline for submission to get your organization in for the United Way's 2015 Charles County Directory of Human Services is November 1st. The CIWD will be listed in the directory.
- Abilities Network is hiring for the Charles County Office.
- Van Go is hoping for funding for some new routes. One will operate around the area of the new high school. They also hope to cut the Indian Head route from 1 1/2 hours to 1 hour. They started their collaboration wih Lifestyles and the Safe Nights program on October 1.
- DORS finished their fiscal year and made their goal!!
- They wil also be providing an inservice at SMCIL on November 3rd. The CIWD was invite to attend.
- Tri-County is working on transportation type collaboration with the Veteran's Home, the ARC, and Tri-County and SMCIL.
- Maryland Statewide Independent Living Council will be sending out their needs assessment for individuals and service providers to complete.
Next meeting: November 17, 2014, 3:00 p.m.
Charles County Government Center, Office of Joane Gulvas, Safety Officer
The meeting was adjourned at 4:32 p.m.