Senior Center Plus
Senior Center Plus
The Senior Center Plus program is designed to meet the varied needs of the more frail senior citizen age 60 or older, who may not be able to participate independently within the senior center setting, yet does not require the extensive supervision and services of medical adult day care. This social program enables older persons to socialize and enjoy a meal with friends and participate in a variety of Senior Center programs, including physical fitness, educational workshops, health programs, arts, crafts, and special events.
Working to ensure the highest level of service to participants, Senior Center Plus provides:
- A free, in-home assessment and recommendation for the program, made by the Charles County Health Department’s Adult Evaluation & Review Services team (AERS).
- An affordable respite care option for family caregivers or others who provide daily care and supervision to elderly persons.
- Opportunities for frail elders to reduce the damaging effects of social isolation by participating in a supervised, socially engaging program in a warm and friendly atmosphere. Stimulating activities are designed both for fun and to maintain the highest possible cognitive and physical functioning of participants.
- Regular, basic health screening services (i.e., blood pressure and opportunities for brief consultation about health concerns) provided by the Centers’ Visit the Nurse program.
- Periodic reassessment to determine changing needs and referral to additional elder care services as needed.
The daily attendance fee includes the cost of:
- Regular Senior Center activities
- Project supplies
- A Registered Dietitian approved lunch meeting 1/3 of the RDA for older adults. Meals follow a regular menu pattern with no added salt. Participants with very restrictive, special dietary needs are encouraged to bring their own lunch to the center.
Scholarships may be available to help offset the cost of attendance for those individuals who need financial assistance. Please call 301-609-5710 for the current daily fee, financial assistance options, and eligibility.
Richard R. Clark Senior Center
Tuesday-Thursday, 9:00 am–2:00 pm
1210 Charles Street, La Plata, MD
301-934-5423 • 301-932-2077 • 301-870-2015