Our goal is to conduct all procurement in a professional manner and to deal with each prospective vendor, bidder, or salesperson with honesty, fairness, and integrity. We recognize that the procurement process can seem complex, and we invite your questions regarding any aspect of the procurement process of which you may be unsure. ***ONLINE BID BOARD***
Notice to Vendors: Replacement of eMaryland Marketplace
eMaryland Marketplace (eMM), the State of Maryland's online bid board system, was replaced by eMaryland Marketplace Advantage (eMMA) on July 22, 2019. No vendor data was carried from the old system into eMMA. Vendors are required to re-register with the State of Maryland.
Additional information is available at: https://procurement.maryland.gov.
Charles County Purchase Order (PO) Terms and Conditions
Charles County Government Purchase Orders are subject to the terms and conditions available here.
Who Buys For Charles County
Purchasing conducts or provides oversight of all purchases in excess of $1,000. However, most procurement is either initiated or requested by county departments.
How The County Buys
- Small Purchases (less than $5,000) – Charles County Government departments are authorized to conduct these purchases independently, and will contact vendors directly. Only one quote is required.
- Medium Purchases (from $5,000 to $25,000) – If practicable, informal quotations are obtained from at least three sources. These requests for quotations usually originate from the departments. Purchase orders are typically required, and are issued by the Purchasing Division based upon requisitions submitted by the departments.
- Large Purchases (more than $25,000) – The Purchasing Division conducts a formal solicitation process to obtain sealed bids/proposals. Other bid documents are required to accompany the sealed bid/proposal, such as qualifications and experience, bid/proposal affidavit, bid bond, insurance certification, Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) participation, etc. Formal solicitations are advertised in the following venues:
- Charles County Bid Board at the Purchasing Office
- eMaryland Marketplace Advantage (eMMA), the State of Maryland’s online bid board at https://procurement.maryland.gov
- One time in the Maryland Independent
- Social media: Facebook (www.Facebook.com/CharlesCounty), and Twitter (@CharlesCoMD)
- Online at www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/public-notices
All formal county solicitations are published on eMaryland Marketplace Advantage (eMMA), the State of Maryland’s electronic bid board, which provides email notification of solicitations published. We strongly encourage al firms wishing to be notified of county solicitations to register with eMaryland Marketplace Advantage (eMMA) at: https://procurement.maryland.gov.
Suggestions for Bidders/Proposers
- Always read the solicitation documents thoroughly before submitting questions.
- Comply completely with all instructions and requirements contained in the solicitations. Bids/proposals missing required information and/or containing incomplete forms may be rejected.
- Attend the pre-bid/proposal meeting/site visit if one is offered.
- Ensure you submit all items required by the solicitation, such as: bid security, addendum acknowledgement, references, qualifications, licenses/certifications, etc.
- Check the Bid Board frequently. You are responsible to be aware of any addendums, updates, or notices concerning the solicitation published on the Bid Board.
- If you submit questions, ensure they are clear, concise, directed to the person specified in the solicitation, and submitted in writing prior to the cutoff date for questions.
- Ensure your bid is submitted to the Purchasing Office prior to the published bid/proposal closing date and time. Bids and proposals submitted late will not be considered.
Solicitation & Award Information
Information not contained in the county solicitation documents posted on the Bid Board is not available until after award has been made.
Bid openings for bids received in response to Invitations To Bid are public, and bidders are encouraged to attend.
Awards of contracts resulting from formal solicitations are made after completion of review, evaluation, and tabulation of bids/proposals. Award and bid/proposal information is published on the county Bid Board after award.
Information concerning the county’s formal solicitations is available on the Bid Board for at least 30 days after the award of the contract. Information concerning procurement documents not published on the Bid Board may be requested in writing in accordance with the Maryland Public Information Act, as directed on the county website.
Who To Contact
You may contact County Departments directly if you know the person you need to speak with, or you may contact the Purchasing Office. If you do not know the Department point of contact, Purchasing will direct you to the appropriate individual(s). We will always try to make your contact with the County mutually productive. Any inquiries or questions regarding these procedures may be directed to the address and phone numbers listed to the right.
Minority Business Enterprise (MBE), and Small Local Business Enterprise Programs
The county established these programs to encourage participation of small, local, minority, and woman owned businesses in county procurement. The Programs are administered by the Charles County Department of Economic Development. To obtain information on these programs, eligibility criteria, and how to apply, contact the Department of Economic Development Outreach Administrator at 301-885-1334, 301-885-1340MundyL@MeetCharlesCounty.com., or
- For a list of County SLBE & MBE firms: SLBE & MBE DIRECTORIES
- For a list of County MBE firms certified by the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) MBE program: MDOT Directory
Sale of Surplus County Property
Serviceable surplus County property is sold at public auction by Insurance Auto Auctions (IAA). IAA is located at 14149 Brandywine Road, Brandywine, MD, 20613-3003. For more information about IAA's monthly public auctions, and to learn how you can participate, contact them by phone at 301-372-8876 , and/or view their website at https://www.iaai.com/Auctions/BranchListingView.aspx?branchCode=721