Board of Commissioners
200 Baltimore St.
La Plata, MD 20646
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Terms of Service & Responsibilities
Charles County is governed by a board of five County Commissioners who are elected at-large to four-year terms. The Charles County Commissioners are responsible for: raising revenues to fund the capital and operating budgets of County departments and agencies; providing for the public health, safety, and welfare of County residents; adopting and updating the Land Use Plan and Zoning Ordinance and overseeing the development process; establishing, promulgating, and enforcing County rules, regulations, ordinances, policies, and procedures; appointing boards, commissions, and task forces to advise them and make recommendations; and fulfilling the mission of Charles County Government and serving on various board and councils in the County, region, and State. The President presides at meetings and hearings of the Commissioners. The President is the only full-time position, and may reside anywhere in the County. The other four Commissioners, who each represent a Commissioner District in which they must reside, are part-time.
The Commissioners meet every Tuesday in the Commissioners' Meeting Room located on the first floor of the Charles County Government Building. Tuesday meetings typically begin at 10:00 a.m. The Commissioners meet on Wednesday afternoons as needed.
*The weekly agenda is published each Thursday on BoardDocs and each Friday in the Maryland Independent Newspaper.
Taped & Live Video
- Commissioners' meetings are aired live on Charles County Government cable television (CCGTV) stations (Comcast channel 95 and Verizon channel 10). Meetings are also rebroadcast during the week.
- Live streaming
- Digital Library (previously aired meetings)
Occasionally the Board of County Commissioners has to meet on very short notice to address urgent legal matters solely with their legal counsel. Notice for these open meetings held for the purpose of voting to enter into closed session may have to be given on short notice. If so, that notice will be posted on this website, Board Docs and will be provided to local media outlets.
The Commissioners conduct quarterly Town Meetings to accommodate residents who may be unable to attend regularly scheduled meetings. Information on the Town Hall schedule can be found on the website under Town Hall Meetings.
Hear from your elected board members to learn why holding office is important to them and what they hope to accomplish during their time in office.
Residents are able to request items of recognition from the Board of County Commissioners as an expression of appreciation for their community.
- Request for Recognition
Select the appropriate form of recognition and email the completed form as an attachment to Commissioners@CharlesCountyMD.gov. Our staff will coordinate with you directly.
FORMS OF RECOGNITION
- Proclamation – A recognition item that designates a specific week, day, or year to honor an individual, group, event or purpose. The proclamation award is reserved for the most significant of occasions.
- Certificate of Appreciation/Recognition/Congratulations/Retirement – A recognition item given to organizations or individuals to express appreciation for an extraordinary service rendered, , a noteworthy contribution to improve local life, a birthday, anniversary, or any other occasion where celebrations of landmark significance unites local citizens.
- Citations for Heroism/Milestone Birthdays/County Government Retirements – A special citation presented in recognition of an extraordinary act of valor or heroism.
- County Seal - A framed County seal will be presented for all grand openings, ribbon cuttings and special anniversary events for businesses that a Commissioner is attending.
There are various other types of recognition so you are encouraged to email the form for items not listed within the selection for consideration. We value our citizenry and appreciate the opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate your lifetime milestones.