The County offers various life insurance policies through Aetna. An employee may elect this benefit
- Within 31 days of employment with the County
- During our annual Open Enrollment window (held in May)
- Any time throughout the year (an Evidence of Insurability form required)
Basic Life Insurance
1.5 times annual base salary - paid by the County
- All eligible employees are automatically provided with basic life insurance, at no charge, in the amount of one and one-half (1.5) times the employee's annual salary rounded up to the next thousand (not to exceed $250,000). This plan also provides coverage for accidental death or personal loss.
Supplemental Life Insurance
Additional 1, 2, or 3 times base salary
- Additional life insurance may be purchased by an eligible employee in the amount of
one, two or three times the employee's annual salary, not to exceed $400,000. The rate for this
supplemental life insurance is based on an individual's age and annual salary and is adjusted as an employee's age and salary changes.
Dependent Life Insurance
$20,000 spouse/$10,000 child(ren)
- An eligible employee may elect within the first 30 days of employment to purchase insurance for a spouse and/or dependent child(ren). A dependent child is eligible for coverage through age 19 or until age 26. The cost for this insurance is a flat rate per month and is paid by the employee through a semi-monthly payroll deduction
Termination of Employment
A terminated or retired employee may convert the life insurance to an individual policy provided the carrier is notified within 30 days after the date of termination. Information regarding the conversion process and premium cost is provided at the time of separation from service.