Indian Head, MD
Indian Head, MD
The Town of Indian Head was once the territory of and home to the Algonquin Indians. It derived its name from the fact that it was once part of an Indian Reservation and sits on a headlands overlooking the Potomac River. Indian Headlands was shortened over the years to Indian Head. Fiction would have us believe that it was named for a rather unfortunate Indian romance that caused an Indian to lose his head over a local Algonquin princess, but that is simply a story created to promote an aura of mystique over the name.
The Town's early residents came in 1890 to work at the newly established Naval Proving Ground which provided badly needed employment during the post-Civil War depression. Later the facility went through a series of name changes to reflect its changing mission. These included the Naval Powder Factory, Naval Propellant Plant, Naval Ordnance Station, Indian Head Division of the Naval Surface Warfare Center, and Naval Support Facility - Indian Head. Today, it is part of the Naval Support Activity - South Potomac and is home to a variety of tenants that include the Indian Head Division of Naval Surface Warfare Center, Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division, Joint Interoperability Test Center, and the Marine Corps Chemical, Biological Incident Response Force. The Base is the largest employer in Charles County
As the Town of Indian Head enters the 21st Century the Town Council, in concert with a recently adopted Master Plan, has set about implementing a very ambitious community and economic redevelopment and revitalization program. The Town's goals include enhancing business opportunities, providing greater public access to the Potomac River and Mattawoman Creek, and fostering tourism activities and events to encourage a broader visitation base.
Check out our Facebook page at: www.Facebook.com/pages/Indian-Head-Maryland