Smallwood Retreat House |

Charles County, Maryland

Smallwood Retreat House

Smallwood Retreat House

Circa 1732-1792.  Built around 1760, the Smallwood Retreat House, originally known as Mattawoman Plantation, was the home of American Revolutionary War General William Smallwood, until his death in 1792.  During the Revolutionary War, General Smallwood, a two-star general, was the highest ranking military man from the State.  No stranger to positions of leadership, he served three one-year terms as the Governor of Maryland beginning in 1785.  A lifelong bachelor, Smallwood was a gentleman farmer, who made a sizeable fortune farming tobacco in Southern Maryland.  At one time he owned over 5,000 acres.  Smallwood had no children, and like Thomas Jefferson and several other patriots, he died in debt.  Out of necessity, his home sold at public auction to satisfy his obligations.  After the sale, various renters and tenants occupied the property until it fell into ruin.  Luckily, in 1934, concerned citizens formed the Smallwood Foundation in an effort to save the house.  The restoration began in 1954 and reached completion in 1958.  The house was reconstructed and opened to the public in 1958, under the direction of the Smallwood Foundation, Inc.  Today, the period furnishings in the building correspond to those listed in the inventory for the property housed at the Maryland Archives.  Visit the Smallwood Retreat House and learn more about General Smallwood's life and times.  Colonial cooking demonstrations are held the second Sunday of each month.  All tours are conducted by costumed docents, who are Smallwood State Park volunteers.   

Days/Hours of Operation:

May through September - Open Sundays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Other times by appointment.

Cost: (Park Entry) $3 Maryland residents; $5 non-Maryland residents

Check out our Facebook page at:

Follow us on Twitter at:


2750 Sweden Point Road
Smallwood State Park
Marbury, MD 20658
(301) 743-7613