VanGO operates specialized transportation services for senior citizens and persons with disabilities who are unable to use the fixed route system. VanGO Specialized Services provide door-to-door transportation and allow a Personal Care Attendant to accompany any customer for free when approved in advance. Reservation times are provided within a one-hour window and drivers cannot wait more than five minutes for customers before proceeding to their next pick-up.
To qualify for services a Specialized Services Application must be completed. Applications can be mailed to the Department of Planning & Growth Mangement, Transit Division. Applications are reviewed each week by the Specialized Services Review Committee. Applicants will receive notification of eligibility within two weeks.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Transportation
ADA Transportation Services provide general purpose transportation to disabled persons who are prevented from using the fixed route public transportation system due to their disability. Paratransit services are available to disabled persons up to 3/4 of a mile around existing fixed public routes (ADA area). Departure locations and or destinations outside ADA areas may be considered for Demand Response service.
Operating Hours: Monday-Saturday from 6:30am-10:00pm, depending upon service area. Be-ready times are provided within a 1 hour window.
Fare: $1 per trip or purchase All Day Pass for $2. Personal Care Attendants ride at no charge. One other person may accompany the customer and is charged the same fare as the passenger. All persons must have the same origin and destination as the customer.
ADA Complaint Procedure
If you believe that you or another person has been discriminated against by an entity covered by the ADA, you may file a complaint with the Department of Planning & Growth Management, Transit Division. To file a complaint contact the Transit office in writing at:
Department of Planning & Growth Management:
200 Baltimore Street
La Plata, Maryland 20646
Door to door service for seniors 60 and older, and disabled persons near a VanGO public transit route who are unable to use the route due to a mental or physical impairments. Service is only to destinations within Charles County. Be-ready times are provided within a 1 hour window
Operating Hours: Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm
Fare: $1.50 per trip. Individuals are limited to 12 one way trips per month. Personal Care Attendants ride for free if certified in advance by VanGO.
Subscription Services are for persons needing transportation to dialysis centers and Charles County Senior Centers.
VanGO has worked closely with the senior and dialysis centers to give VanGO customers priority when scheduling service and operating hours. If due to space limitations a dialysis center is not able to accommodate a customer's need to coincide with the availability of VanGO transportation, that person will be placed on a waiting list for the service days and times needed. VanGO may be able to offer service under other specialized transportation services until desired service time can be accomodated.
Operating Hours: Monday-Saturday from 5:30am-5:30pm
Fare: $1 per trip or purchase an All Day Pass for $2.
.50¢ per trip or purchase an All Day Pass for $1 (Senior Citizens and Persons with Disabilities)
Passenger Policies for Specialized Service
- VanGO drivers are responsible for getting passengers safely on and off the vehicle and to the front door of their destination. If the entrance door is above the ground floor, drivers are only required to get the passenger to the elevator entrance or stairwell.
- VanGO drivers are not allowed to enter any passenger house for pickup or drop off.
- VanGO drivers may assist with packages upon request. Packages must weigh less than five pounds total and must be able to be carried in one trip.
- Specialized services are a shared ride program. VanGO will make every effort to get passengers to their destination in a reasonable amount of travel time but reserves the right to schedule multiple customers for multiple pickups to multiple destinations.
- Passengers must wear safety belts when aboard VanGO and all children under four years of age or weighing less than 40 pounds must use a child safety seat, provided by the passenger.