Public Works - Facilities
10430 Audie Ln.
La Plata, MD 20646
301-932-3599 | 301-870-2778
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Charles County Landfill
12305 Billingsley Road
Waldorf, MD 20602
Monday through Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.*
*The Charles County Landfill and Recycling Centers are working to protect staff and the public by reducing their operation hours during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Charles County Landfill and the Piney Church Mulching Facility operating hours will be 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. starting Saturday, March 21. Trucks weighing over 10,000 pounds will not be allowed to enter the landfill after 3 p.m. The Recycling Center hours will remain unchanged. The Environmental Resources Division will continue to monitor the situation and modify the hours as needed.
*Commercial vehicles must weigh in by 3 p.m.
Waste disposal is a critical public health essential service and the Environmental Resources Division is asking patrons to help reduce the COVID-19 pandemic impact to trash haulers, employees, and citizens. The following precautions are encouraged to help reduce transmission and exposure to employees and the public:
Delay spring cleaning: Please reduce the number of visits and when possible limit trips to drop-off spoilable or household waste only.
Self Service: All landfill and recycling center employees will be practicing social distancing to protect themselves and residents. Please be prepared to self-unload your vehicle, bring assistance if needed.
Bag Waste: When self-hauling household and spoilable waste, please make sure items are bagged. This will reduce the exposure of waste to employees and help prevent cross contamination to other patrons.
Hire a Hauler: When possible, residents are encouraged to hold bulk items or utilize a curbside collection service.
Skip Saturday afternoon: Visit outside of peak hours. The landfill is no longer able to provide an express lane on Saturdays.
Limit your transaction: Bring your own pen, pay with exact change, or write a check.
Prewrite your check: Checks must include the driver’s license number, date of birth, expiration date, and valid phone number.
Vehicles dumping on the working face must weigh in before 3 p.m.
All waste and recycling must originate from Charles County.
Commercial/Bulk fees are assessed to all commercial haulers and any vehicle with:
- business name, sign, or logo
- dump body or dump trailer
- gross weight of 10,000 pounds or greater
- stake body, utility body, sideboards, ladder racks, or cargo body van
- use of business credit card/check
- Proof of Charles County residency is required
- FY20 Landfill Operating Fees and Hours (The Charles County Landfill is not funded by County taxes.)
- Piney Church Road Mulch Facility
- Tag-A-Bag Program
Residential Flat Rates are available for Charles County residents self-hauling household waste from their residence within Charles County. Landfill Fees
Commercial transactions are not eligible for residential flat rates. Commercial transactions are classified by:
- Out of County identification
Vehicles with trailers, stake body, utility body, sideboards, ladder racks, or cargo body van
Business name, sign, or logo
Gross weight of 10,000 pounds or greater
Use of business credit card/check
The following items are not accepted at the Charles County Landfill:
- Out-of-County refuse
- Commercial loads of demolition debris
- Hazardous chemicals
- Dead animals
- Gas cylinders
- Children must remain in vehicles at all times.
- Patrons must obey load covering laws, posted speed limits, and all traffic signs and signals.
- Off-road tires are strongly recommended.
- Tow hooks are required for all commercial vehicles and trailers. Drivers are responsible to attach tow cables in the unlikely event a vehicle becomes stuck.