10430 Audie La., La Plata, MD 20646
301-932-3599 | 301-870-2778
7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. M-F
Household Hazardous Waste Events
Household Hazardous Waste events will resume on July 11. Masks or facial coverings are required. Please remain in your vehicle until it is your turn to unload. We appreciate your patience with anticipated long lines.
- Saturday, July 11, 2020 (second Saturday)
- Saturday, August, 1, 2020
- Saturday, September 5, 2020
- Saturday, October 3, 2020
- Saturday, November 7, 2020
- Saturday, December 5, 2020
Improper disposal of leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients can pollute the environment and pose a threat to human health.
Residential household hazardous waste (HHW) collection is held the first Saturday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Department of Public Works in La Plata.
Items Accepted Free of Charge Include:
- Automotive fluids (transmission fluids, brake fluid, etc.)
- Cleaning supplies
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs)
- Diesel Fuel
- Fluorescent tubes
- Oil-based paint
- Pool chemicals
- Rust removers
- Other poisons that are around your home
Items Not Accepted:
- Bio/Medical wastes (sharps, needles, body fluids)
- Commercial hazardous waste
- Latex paint (Latex Paint is not toxic and once solidified can be disposed of in your household trash.)
- Prescription and non-prescription drugs (Prescription and non-prescription drugs can be dropped off at a participating "Drug Take Back" pharmacy, the Charles County Sheriff's La Plata and Waldorf Stations, 24 hours a day and at the Charles County Sheriff's Bryans Road Station by appointment for safe disposal. Liquids or syringes will not be accepted).
Please keep the materials in their original containers whenever possible and bring them to the collection site in cardboard boxes to ease unloading. Reusable containers will be emptied and returned. Commercially generated hazardous waste is strictly prohibited.