Mattawoman Office (Utilities)
5310 Hawthorne Rd.
La Plata, MD 20646
William A. Shreve
Director of Public Works
Deputy Director, Public Works - Utilities
Director of Public WorksWilson Cochran
24 hours/day, 7 days /week
Public Works Utilities - Mattawoman Waste Water Facility
The Utilities Division is centrally located at the Mattawoman Waste Water Facility near Mason Springs. All sections of County Government pertaining to water and wastewater operations and maintenance are based here, along with administrative and technical support staff.
Utilities provides some of the most critical - but least thought about - services in the County. Charles County's water: Where does it come from? How does it get here? Where does it go?
- Utilities is responsible for the operation, maintenance, compliance monitoring and reporting of all water and wastewater facilities owned by the Charles County Commissioners
- Utilities operates and maintains wells, water storage tanks, fire hydrants, water meters, pump stations, wastewater treatment plants and manholes
- We are responsible for over 780 miles of water and sewer lines, and nearly 29,000 water connections
- Utilities uses an enterprise fund
- Tax dollars do not support our operations
- Customer payments for water and sewer usage are our primary funding source
- User fee rates are determined by operations and maintenance needs
- Connection fees also support some of the major construction projects such as the installation of new lines to connect new customers
- Rates are set so as to "break even" with enough revenue generated to support the cost of supplying the services